On the road again: Looking forward to St. Patty's weekend


Share
Posted Online: March 06, 2014, 9:34 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Steve Tappa, stappa@qconline.com
It is difficult to believe that St. Patrick's Day is only a weekend away.

A big part of the local holiday fun again is the 32nd annual St. Patty's Day Race hosted by Davenport's Center for Active Seniors, Inc.

Registration is open now through race day, March 15, in downtown Davenport. Russell Construction is the presenting sponsor for a fourth straight spring. Proceeds beneift CASI's mission of providing programs and services to local seniors and their families.

"The winter of 2014 stands as one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record for the Quad-Cities,'' said Laura Kopp, CASI's chief executive officer. "The snow and cold are really hurting our registration numbers as runners, walkers and holiday revelers cannot even fathom being outside yet.

"We are hoping for a break in the weather, which will get everyone thinking of spring and the great outdoors again. This is our largest fundraising event and the success of it all relies on the participation of our community.''

The St. Patty's Race annually is part of the larger holiday celebration in downtown Davenport. The festivities include a parade and the QC Bicycle Club's "Cruisin' the Celtic Isles.''

The road race features the Eye Surgeons Associates Costume Contest and the Lighting of the QC School Challenge.

New this year is the Unity Point Health Trinity Corporate Challenge, where companies and their employees compete for a travelling trophy, with the organization featuring the most participants earning the bragging rights.

Distances include a 5K, one-mile family fun run/walk and a half-mile tot trot.

Non-runners can help with the cause by volunteering to support the race.

To sign up, or for more information, visit CasiSeniors.org or contact Sarah Arp at 563-386-7477 ext. 229 (office), 563-343-0038 (cell) or e-mail sarp@casiseniors.org.

This weekend: The QC Women's Outdoor Club is hiking Scott County Park this Saturday "in search of spring,'' the organization jokes.

The hike is free to all comers, with club members meeting at the Whispering Pines Shelter at 8 a.m.

Participants are encouraged to bring a camera, photograph proof of spring, and share it with the club.

To join in the club's weekly adventures, visit qcwoc.com, e-mail events@qcwoc.com or call Vanessa McNeely at 563-940-8022.

Also Saturday: The Black Hawk Hiking Club visits the Hennepin Canal Visitor's Center this weekend at I-80 East and Route 40 South.

Starting at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, hike along an old path originally intended but never used by animals. The path no serves as a way of towing boats along the canal's main line and feeder routes.

View the locks and aqueducts as well as animal life. The Center is closed on Saturdays, but pit toilets are available.

For more information about the club and it's near-weekly hikes, visit blackhawkhikingclub.com or email blackhawkhikingclub@yahoo.com.

Next week: The QC Bicycle Club's general meeting has been moved to Tuesday, March 11.

Rock Island's Bent River Brewery hosts the meeting at 7 p.m. The public is invited. Food, pop and beer is provided.

The featured speaker is Dr. Robert Kaminski, the leading provider locally of Active Release Techniques. Kaminski as been a chiropractor since 1987 and utilizing A.R.T. since 1998.

For more information, or to RSVP, contact Denise Duethman at 309-721-7276 or neuromanager910@yahoo.com.
Steve Tappa covers local running and cycling for The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus. Contact him at tappa@qconline.com or 309-757-4967.


















 



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, Oct. 2, the 275th day of 2014. There are 90 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The ladies have adopted the fashion of wearing representations of insects in the flowers on their bonnets. Some look very natural.
1889 -- 125 years ago: T.F. Cary, former Rock Island alderman, has accepted a position as salesman for a Chicago wallpaper house and plans to move to that city.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Work on the new telephone building on 18th Street between 6th and 7th avenues is progressing rapidly.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Rock Island's new theater at 3rd Avenue and 19th Street will have a name significant of its location. The "Rocket" is scheduled to open Thanksgiving Day.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Two of Rock Island's newest water towers were vandalized last night, including the one at 38th Street and 31st Avenue, where police took five Moline boys into custody about 9 p.m..
1989 -- 25 years ago: Some of us who live in the Quad-Cities take the Mississippi River for granted, or at least we used to. But the river is not taken for granted by our visitors. And most Quad-Citians are realizing the importance of the river to this area as increased emphasis is placed on tourism.







(More History)