LOCAL FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Betty Gustafson


Share
Posted Online: March 16, 2014, 7:41 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Betty L. Gustafson, 87, of Moline, died Saturday, March 15, 2014, at UnityPoint Health-Trinity, Rock Island.
Services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Wheelan-Pressly Funeral Home, 3030 7th Ave., Rock Island. Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. today at the funeral home. Burial will be at Memorial Park Cemetery, Rock Island. Memorials may be made in care of First Lutheran Church or St. Anthony's Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, both of Rock Island.
Betty was born in Keithsburg on Feb. 10, 1927, a daughter of Oscar and Belva Hall Taylor. She married Lee A. Damp, who preceded her in death. She later married Carl Gustafson on May 23, 1981, in Davenport. He also preceded her in death.
Betty worked 16 years as a clerk for the Rock Island Arsenal and retired in the early 1990s. After retirement, Betty worked part time for 10 years at the Caprock in Rock Island packaging jewelry stands.
Betty was an active member at First Lutheran Church, Rock Island, and used to be a part of the Joy "Lunch" Bunch. She enjoyed sewing and making custom drapes and clothing. She also enjoyed crocheting and some craft items.
Survivors include her sons, Edward L. Damp, and David A. (Jan) Damp, Milan; granddaughter, Angela R. Lewis; stepgrandchildren, Bilan Hockers and Aaron King; several great-grandchildren; brother, Lawrence D. Taylor, Little York, Ill.; and sisters, Evelyn J. (Earl) Stroops, Davenport, Louise A. Woods, East Moline, and Joyce I. Taylor.
She was preceded in death by her two husbands; parents; sister, Phyllis L. Dunsworth; and brothers, Earl and Roy Taylor.
Online condolences may be left for the family at wheelanpressly.com.














 



Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Sept. 20, the 263rd day of 2014. There are 102 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Recruits can get $500 by enlisting now. Lt Jobe has a recruiting office on Illinois Street.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Superintendent Schnitger formally inaugurated the Rock Island and Davenport Railway Line of the Holmes system by putting on four cars to start.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Wires of the defunct Union Electric Co. are being removed by city electricians.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The Bishop Hill softball team won the championship in WHB"S Mississippi Valley tournament at Douglas Park.
1964 -- 50 years ago: A boom in apartment construction has hit Rock Island, with approximately 300 units either in or near the construction stage or due for an early rezoning decision.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Members of the Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission are hoping to revive their push for a new $70 million four-lane bridge spanning the Mississippi River.






(More History)