H. Neil Summers

Posted Online: June 12, 2014, 8:20 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
H. Neil Summers, 81, of Rock Island, passed away on Wednesday, June 11, 2014, at Hope Creek Care Center, East Moline.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be 9:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Pius X Catholic Church, Rock Island. Entombment is at Calvary Mausoleum, Rock Island, where military honors will be presented by Moline American Legion Post 246. Visitation is 3 to 7 p.m. today at Wheelan-Pressly Funeral Home, Rock Island, where a Christian wake service will be held at 3 p.m. Memorials may made to the Alzheimer's Research Association or Genesis Hospice.
Neil was born Dec. 6, 1932, in Rock Island, the son of Harold J. and Doris Chambers Summers. He married Luella M. Vyncke on May 5, 1956, at St. Anne's Catholic Church, East Moline.
He was a painting contractor and owned W.F. Scott Decorating, Rock Island, until 2004. He was a member and past president of the P.D.C.A. and held various other offices during his years in the trades.
Neil was a U.S. Marine Corps veteran serving as a sergeant during the Korean War. He was a member of St. Pius X Catholic Church. Neil loved fishing and watching his grandchildren's sports. He also coached girls' basketball at Jordan Catholic School for 15 years.
He is survived by his wife, Luella; children, Terri (Roger) Jared, James Summers (Brendan Young), Jill (Rick) DeBlieck, Dawn Camlin and Ann (Justin) Martel; grandchildren, Angie (Karl) Zaglauer, Tony (Amanda) Jared, David Jared, Marcel DeBlieck (Amber Binns), Troy DeBlieck, Katie DeBlieck (Shawn Lemaster), Kody DeBlieck, Nick, Courtney, Haley and Carlee Camlin, Lyndsay and Jenavieve Martel; great-grandchildren, Kali Zaglauer, Chase and Nolan Jared, Landyn DeBlieck and Hunter Lemaster; and brother, Jan Summers. He was preceded in death by his parents; and twin sister, Elaine Holub.
We would like to thank the wonderful staff at Hope Creek for all of their great care, love and compassion shown to Neil and our family.
Online condolences may be left at wheelanpressly.com.


Local events heading

  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.

(More History)