Lila Echelberger

Posted Online: June 12, 2014, 8:20 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Lila M. Echelberger, 86, of Cambridge, died Thursday, June 12, 2014, at Hammond-Henry Hospital Long Term Care, Geneseo.
Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Monday, June 16, at the Cambridge Lutheran Church. The Rev. Randall Swanson will officiate. Burial will be at Rosedale Cemetery, Cambridge. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday at the Cambridge Chapel of Stackhouse-Moore Funeral Services. Memorials may be made to Cambridge Lutheran Church.
Lila Mae Lewis was born Sept. 11, 1927, in Cornwall Township, Henry County, Ill., the daughter of Harley and Esther Larson Lewis. She was educated at the Murphy Country Grade School in Cornwall Township and graduated from Geneseo High School in 1945. Her marriage to H. Dean Echelberger took place on April 11, 1947, in Geneseo. He died on May 5, 1996.
In her early years, she worked at Nelson Dairy and Pine Lodge Nursing Home, both in Cambridge.
Her memberships included the Cambridge Lutheran Church and the Morning Martha Unit of WELCA, the Mothers of World War II Inc., Cambridge, the Flemish-American Club of Kewanee and the Prairie Queen Quilt Club of Bishop Hill. Lila enjoyed playing Mexican train dominos, hand and foot card game and Rummikub.
Those surviving are a son and daughter-in-law, Mike and Theresa Echelberger, Springfield, Ohio; two daughters and sons-in-law, Diane and Jim Gilbraith, Geneseo, Vicki and Bill Farber, Bettendorf; five grandchildren, Tonya (Matt) Rider, Troy (Stacy) Echelberger, Tony (Lori) Schefsky, Jonathan Farber and Joy Farber; and five great-grandchildren, Amanda and Nicholas Rider, Xander Echelberger, Zachary and Trevor Schefsky. Other survivors include two stepgrandchildren, Jamie (Lori) Gilbraith and Jason (Erin) Gilbraith; and four stepgreat-grandchildren, Chandler, Cameron and Carter Gilbraith and Dylan Gilbraith. She was preceded in death by her parents; a sister; two brothers; and a stepgranddaughter, Cheri Gilbraith.
A video tribute may be viewed and condolences expressed by visiting Lila's obituary at


Local events heading

  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.

(More History)