PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Dorcas Martens Cole


Share
Posted Online: June 26, 2014, 11:01 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Dorcas I. Martens Cole, 85, of Erie, died Wednesday, June 25, 2014, at Good Samaritan-Prophets Riverview, Prophetstown.
Services will be 11 a.m. Saturday, June 28, at Hillsdale United Methodist Church, Hillsdale. Visitation will be from 9 to 11 a.m. prior to the service at the church. Burial will follow at the Erie Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the Hillsdale United Methodist Church.
Dorcas Irene Prins was born Aug. 4, 1928, the daughter of John and Helen VanZuiden Prins. She attended a one room school house outside of Lyndon and Lyndon High School. Dorcas was married to Albert Martens on March 26, 1947. He preceded her in death in 1986. She later married Lyle Cole on Nov. 18, 1988. He preceded her in death in 2005.
Dorcas worked for the Illinois Bell Telephone Company in Erie until the position became obsolete. She then went to work for General Electric in Morrison, where she worked from 1968 to 1988. Upon retirement, she and Lyle found a love for traveling. They visited all 50 states and several countries in Europe and South America.
Dorcas also enjoyed cooking and crocheting. She was a member of Hillsdale United Methodist Church and longtime member of TOPs and the GEM club.
She is survived by three children, Jerry (Carla) Martens, Erie, Helen (Ronald) Null, Morrison, Richard (Janice) Martens, Erie; brothers, Elmer Prins and Irvin (Barb) Prins, Morrison; nine grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her parents; both husbands; son and daughter-in-law, Charles and Bev Martens; and brothers, Kenneth and Arnold Prins.
Share a memory or condolence at gibsonbodefh.com.












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)