Cambridge readies for 12th annual car show


Share
Posted Online: Aug. 10, 2014, 1:49 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Lisa Hammer, correspondent@qconline.com
CAMBRIDGE – Proud owners of cars, trucks and motorcycles are invited to Cambridge on Saturday for the 12th annual Cambridge Car Show.

The show is from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., with registration from 9 to 11:30 a.m. at village hall, 123 W. Exchange St. The fee to register a vehicle is $15.

There are no classes for this year's show; car owners can park next to their friends.The top 60 vehicles will win awards and a best in show, best interior, best engine and best paint will be named. People also can vote for their favorite cars.

The Cambridge FFA will offer a petting zoo, and a scale model train display will be set up at the Cambridge Community Hall. The Cambridge American Legion will host a Legion Riders motorcycle display in the old Jack and Jill parking lot.

A bags tournament will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the 200 block of North Prospect Street. If it's hot, children can cool off with spray from a fire tanker.

Bruce Strader's Antique Toy and Auto Museum on Center Street will be open, and people can tour the Historical Heritage Village on the north end of Prospect Street.

Music will be provided during the day by Danny Blakey, of Toulon, the Cambridge High School band and DJ 3D Sound.

There will be food and craft vendors, a 50/50 drawing and a silent auction that will include a football helmet signed by College Hall of Famer Chuck Long.

For more information about the show, call 309-937-2626.



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, Oct. 2, the 275th day of 2014. There are 90 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The ladies have adopted the fashion of wearing representations of insects in the flowers on their bonnets. Some look very natural.
1889 -- 125 years ago: T.F. Cary, former Rock Island alderman, has accepted a position as salesman for a Chicago wallpaper house and plans to move to that city.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Work on the new telephone building on 18th Street between 6th and 7th avenues is progressing rapidly.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Rock Island's new theater at 3rd Avenue and 19th Street will have a name significant of its location. The "Rocket" is scheduled to open Thanksgiving Day.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Two of Rock Island's newest water towers were vandalized last night, including the one at 38th Street and 31st Avenue, where police took five Moline boys into custody about 9 p.m..
1989 -- 25 years ago: Some of us who live in the Quad-Cities take the Mississippi River for granted, or at least we used to. But the river is not taken for granted by our visitors. And most Quad-Citians are realizing the importance of the river to this area as increased emphasis is placed on tourism.







(More History)