Knee injury keeps Gbeddeh in hospital

Originally Posted Online: Sept. 02, 2014, 4:55 pm
Last Updated: Sept. 02, 2014, 10:40 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Daniel Makarewicz,

Rock Island senior running Prince Gbeddeh's dislocated knee on Friday night originally was viewed as a minor injury. The complications from it over the last few days are turning it into a life-threatening health scare.

Gbeddeh suffered the injury during the Rocks' 19-12 win at Peoria Manual. However, he still remains in the hospital. According to Rocky football coach Bryan Stortz, Gbeddeh is resting in the intensive-care unit at OSF St. Francis Medical Center in Peoria because the dislocated knee apparently ruptured an artery in his knee.

The situation has become serious because the rupture triggered a series of setbacks.

"He's going to be there at least the next few days," Stortz said during a phone interview on Tuesday afternoon. " ... He may not be the same. There could be (long-term) complications."

The injury ended Gbeddeh's season minutes into it, Stortz said. The scope of what happened is cause for concern.

Because of the ruptured artery, Gbeddeh was rushed into emergency surgery as Stortz arrived at the hospital after the victory. All the medical jargon regarding the complications and what exactly led to them are unknown, but Stortz said the ruptured artery has affected his kidneys and lungs.

The vascular surgeon told Stortz that 99 percent of knee dislocations result in it being popped back into place and stabilizing it.

"This is that one-percent case," Stortz said. "That's why this is so serious. They were trying to save his leg."

The internal issues, Stortz said, are being monitored as Gbeddeh lays in the intensive-care unit, fighting to battle through the complications started from an injury on the football field. His long-term prognosis is unknown. Stortz said Gbeddeh will need to undergo reconstructive knee surgery.

Until that happens, the goal is him leaving hospital under his own power.

"Lots of people have seen him," Stortz said. "He hasn't talked about himself. His spirits are good."


Local events heading

  Today is Tuesday, Oct. 21, the 294th day of 2014. There are 71 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The weather is discouraging for our great Democratic rally tomorrow, but never mind that. Let our Rock Island people show they can make a big procession themselves, rain or shine.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Apparatus arrived for drilling an artesian well on the premises of George Warner's Atlantic Brewery.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The German army continued its attacks on the allies line near the Belgian coast.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The farm home of Mr. and Mrs. Gus Zachert northwest of Buffalo Prairie, burned to the ground.
1964 -- 50 years ago: WVIK-FM, noncommercial educational radio station at Augustana College, will return to the air tomorrow. The station operates at a power of 10 watts at 90.9 megacycles on the frequency modulation band. The station is operated with a staff of 92 students.
1989 -- 25 years ago: An avenue of lights, 13 Christmas trees strung with more than 44,000 sparkling lights, will expand the Festival of Trees beyond the walls of RiverCenter in downtown Davenport in mid-November.

(More History)