Posted Online: March 14, 2012, 10:07 pm
Engineering council presents scholarships, awards
Comment on this story
The Quad City Engineering and Science Council (QCESC) recently awarded several scholarships to area high school seniors and presented awards to area professionals during its Engineers Week Gala at the Isle of Capri Waterfront Convention Center in Bettendorf.
The QCESC represents 36 technical societies in the Quad-Cities area with approximately 5,000 associated members. The QCESC is nonprofit and is seeking new society members as well as additional corporate sponsors.
The QCESC presented the following awards:
* 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award: Donald Allebach, director of innovation for PCT Engineered Systems.
* 2012 Senior Engineer of the Year: Gary Meden, deputy for programs and project management with the Rock Island District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
* 2012 Junior Engineer of the Year: Jennifer Miller, a general engineer with ARDEC at the Rock Island Arsenal.
* 2012 Senior Scientist of the Year: Mohamad El-Zein, manager of metals and mechanics at the John Deere Moline Technology Innovation Center.
* 2012 Junior Scientist of the Year: Shannon Prantner, manager of product safety and compliance for Deere & Co.
* 2012 Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Teacher of the Year: Susan Meredith, a mathematics teacher with the Rock Island School District.
* Society of the Year: Quad Cities Chapter of ASM International.
* President's Award of Merit: Nichole Myles, vice president of education at the Putnam Museum, Davenport.
This year's scholarship winners are:
* Exelon $2,000 Scholarship: Alex Robinson, Mercer County High School
* University of Illinois Chicago $1,000 Scholarship: Rachel Lathe, Sterling High School
* QCESC $2,500 Scholarship: Eric Jepsen, Geneseo High School
* University of Iowa $1,000 Scholarship: Zach Behrendt, Davenport Central High School
* QCESC $2,500 Scholarship: Darcie Farrell, Central-DeWitt High School
* Iowa State University $1,000 Scholarship: Nicole Schimerowski, Clinton High School
* Iowa State University $1,000 Scholarship: Alex Menke, Bettendorf High School
* NDIA $2,000 Scholarship: Erin Robinson, Riverdale Senior High School
* QCESC $2,500 Scholarship: Bailey Krstic, Mercer County High School.