Posted Online: Sept. 26, 2012, 10:27 am
27th Annual Student Hunger Drive is about to begin
Comment on this story
Press release submitted by Student Hunger Drive
The 27th Annual Student Hunger Drive is about to begin!
The Student Hunger Drive is a campaign to collect and donate food to the River Bend Food Bank by area high school students. This food drive not only helps to fill our local food bank but to also instill a sense of volunteerism and community in area youth. The Student Hunger Drive takes place in the fall and will officially begin on Monday, October 1st.
Students from 18 area high schools participate through their local high schools. With the help of a faculty advisor, student teams plan events to promote the Drive, organize their food collection, as well as package and deliver all collected food to the River Bend Food Bank. Students will be recognized for their efforts at an awards party on the last day of the Drive.
The Student Hunger Drive will celebrate 27 years of helping in 2012. This organization was founded in 1986 by Pete Pohlmann, then President of Lujack's North Park Autoplaza.
Food collected from the Student Hunger Drive is delivered to the River Bend Food Bank, located in Moline, IL. The food bank serves 22 counties in Iowa and Illinois. Food collected from the Student Hunger Drive will be distributed to 120 different food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, day care centers and rehabilitation centers.
HUNGER IN THE QCA – QUICK FACTS
• 40% OF THE HOUSEHOLDS RECEIVING FOOD HAVE AT LEAST ONE FULL-TIME EMPLOYED ADULT
• 39% OF THE RECIPIENTS ARE CHILDREN BELOW THE AGE OF 18
• 46 OF THOSE SERVED BY THE RIVER BEND FOOD BANK REPORT HAVING TO CHOOSE BETWEEN PAYING FOR FOOD AND PAYING FOR UTILITIES
• 78% HAVE AN INCOME BELOW THE FEDERAL POVERTY LEVEL
• APPROXIMATELY 10,000 INDIVIDUALS RECEIVE EMERGENCY FOOD ASSISTANCE IN ANY GIVEN WEEK IN OUR COMMUNITY
• OVER 14 MILLION POUNDS OF FOOD HAS BEEN COLLECTED AND DISTRIBUTED IN THE LAST 26 YEARS BY THE STUDENT HUNGER DRIVE.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
• FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28TH – SPONSOR LUNCHEON HELD AT THE RIVER BEND FOOD BANK, MOLINE, IL. 11:45 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. (INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE WITH STUDENTS, ADVISORS, SPONSORS AND SHD STAFF)
• MONDAY, OCTOBER 1ST – KICK-OFF PARTY HELD AT THE RIVER BEND FOOD BANK, MOLINE, IL. 6:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M. TALENT COMPETITION. EACH SCHOOL WILL PERFORM A 1 MINUTE SKIT. WINNING SCHOOL WILL RECEIVE 2,000 LBS OF FOOD FROM HY-VEE. (INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE)
• SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20TH – SHD SPONSORED MOBILE FOOD PANTRY – ERICSSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, MOLINE, IL. TIME – TBD.
• WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 7 – LOADING DAY #1. – RIVER BEND FOOD BANK
• THURSDAY, NOBEMBER 8 – LOADING DAY #2 – RIVER BEND FOOD BANK
• THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 8 – FINALE RALLY – RIVER BEND FOOD BANK 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Please come to as many events as possible and help us educate the public about hunger right here in the Quad Cities.