Originally Posted Online: Oct. 05, 2012, 5:53 pm
Last Updated: Oct. 05, 2012, 11:15 pm
Levi Haverstick House named RI landmark
Comment on this story
By Dawn Neuses, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rock Island Preservation Commission recently designated the Levi Haverstick house at 544 23rd St., as the city's 41st landmark.
According to a city news release, the home was recognized for its connection to one of Rock Island's earliest newspaper publishers and editors, and for its intact Italianate style with heavily ornamented paired brackets, restored this year by Rock Island Economic GROWTH Corporation.
The cube-shaped brick home was built in 1869 and restored 143 years later by GROWTH, utilizing Neighborhood Stabilization Program funds.
According to Diane Oestreich, Levi Michael Haverstick moved to Rock Island County in 1866, when he bought the Rock Island Daily Union, and later was president of the Union Printing Company.
He built the home in anticipation of his wedding to Mary Emma Frantz in 1870.
Ms. Oestreich prepared the 17-page nomination and submitted it on behalf of the Broadway Historic District Association, with the consent and support of GROWTH.
GROWTH is the present owner. The home is in the Broadway National Register Historic District.