Originally Posted Online: Dec. 05, 2012, 5:54 pm
Last Updated: Dec. 05, 2012, 11:30 pm
Find the Christmas spirit at Geneseo's annual walk
Comment on this story
By Claudia Loucks, firstname.lastname@example.org
More photos from this shoot
Photo: Claudia Loucks / correspondent|
Hammond-Henry Hospital Auxiliary members work on their 'Winter Wonderland' lighted float for this year's Geneseo Christmas Walk lighted parade. Volunteers are, from left, Sharon VanKerrebroeck, Ellen Scranton, Shirley Clark, Mary Miller and Jan Sellman. (Claudia Loucks / correspondent)
The theme of Saturday's 27th annual Geneseo Christmas Walk is "Finding the Christmas Spirit."
The highlight of the event will be a lighted parade through the downtown at 5 p.m., ending at the boulevard, where Santa and Mrs. Claus and Mayor Linda VanDerLeest will light the Christmas tree. From 5:30 to 8 p.m., people can view living and still window scenes in buildings on State Street.
Santa and Mrs. Claus will visit with kids at Call to Victory Christian Youth Center in the former library on South State Street from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Throughout the afternoon, there will be children's crafts at Smith Art Studio, 124 S. State St.; cookie decorating at Websites to Impress, 200 S. State St.; photos with Buddy the Elf at Maple Leaf Medical, 111 S. State St.; and live alpacas at the corner of State and 1st streets.
Artist Vicky Walker will personalize wood Christmas ornaments at Coffee Break, 123 S. State St.
There will be a variety of food vendors throughout the afternoon and evening, including roasted chestnuts.Food will be served during the evening at First Presbyterian, First Methodist, First Lutheran, First Congregational and Concordia churches.
Other activities are:
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Indoor market at the Community Center, 541 E. North St..
- 2 p.m.:5K Jingle Bell Run – Walk. For details, see getmeregistered.com, or call the Geneseo Chamber of Commerce at (309) 944-2686.Awards will be presented for best Christmas costumes.
- 3 to 4 p.m.: Jingle Bell Obstacle Course at the Community Center
- 3 to 4:30 p.m.: Elementary and middle school choirs will perform at First Methodist Church, 302 N. State St.
- 3 to 5 p.m.: Letters to Santa at Central Theater, 111 N. State St.
- 5 p.m.: Constance Diel and her violin students will perform at First Congregational Church, 101 W. Pearl St. .
- 5 p.m.: Free Christmas movie at Central Theater.
- 6 to 9 p.m. Jingle Bell Skate at the Community Center.
- 6 p.m.: Geneseo High School Madrigal Singers perform at Central Theater.
- 6:30 and 7 p.m.: The Moline Boys Choir will perform at Concordia Lutheran Church, 316 S. Oakwood Ave.
- 6:30 p.m.: Geneseo High School Madrigal Brass performs at First Congregational Church, followed by the high school Madrigal Singers at 7:15.
At the Geneseo Historical Museum, 205 S. State St., "telephone girls" Eryn Murray, Elysia Woulf, Ashton Woulf and Hannah Rakestraw will chat on telephones used in the early 1900s.