Posted Online: Jan. 20, 2013, 8:57 pm
Sports' top hits for the week
Comment on this story
Marc Nesseler, firstname.lastname@example.org
According to the number of clickthroughs on QCOnline.com, these were the most popular sports stories for the past week:
Photo: Associated Press|
Rock Island native Madison Keys hits a forehand return to Germany's Angelique Kerber during their third round match at the Australian Open in Melbourne, Australia, on Friday, Jan. 18, 2013.
1. 'RI native wins first round at Australian Open': Madison Keys defeats Australia's Casey Dellacqua 6-4, 7-6 (7-0) to open her play at the tennis major.
2. 'Alleman caps emotional day with first Big 6 win': Anne Bohnert hits a 3-pointer at the buzzer for the Pioneers in a win over Moline, hours after the funeral ceremony of Alleman student Jordan Schmidt in the same gym.
3. 'Plenty of storylines at the Bob Mitton-Orion Invitational': Wrestling beat writer Daniel Makarewicz looks at the last big wrestling invite before regionals.
4. 'Sherrard's Corlett climbing the ladder': Ben Corlett has made wrestling his passion, ranked statewide in Class 1A.
5. 'Moline's Jones captures second straight Geneseo title, Most Outstanding Wrestling honors': The mat spotlight shines brightest on Moline's Adarios Jones.
6. 'Woods officially named Moline football coach': The Moline school board makes it official – Matt Woods will replace Crick Sant Amour.
7. 'Rocks battle to win over Proviso West': Rock Island gets the win, 70-58, at the Naperville Shootout.
8. 'Moline snaps Big 6 losing streak at UT': Moline gets into the boys' basketball WB6 victory column with a 43-46 win over the Panthers.
9. 'Assumption's Daniel eats Pioneers alive': Billy Daniel of the Knights, with 22 points, is too much to handle for Alleman in boys' basketball.
10. 'Rocks fall at Quincy, drop two back in WB6 race': Rock Island falls to Quincy in OT, with the Rocks now 3-2 midway through the conference schedule.