Posted Online: April 21, 2013, 11:59 pm
American spirit runs strong, won't surrender
Comment on this story
By John Marx, email@example.com
To the best of my knowledge:
- You can knock a city (pick one) down for a short period, but there is no way we'll ever wave a white flag.
The effort of bringing to justice the alleged Boston Marathon murderers, was amazing by so many people.
If the opportunity presents itself, tell a law enforcement agent, a fireman or a first-responder you appreciate them. Then, remember, John Q. Citizen made the call that caught the second suspect. Call me impressed.
- You never spill on the cheap shirt.
- I have spent a lifetime being the "before'' model.
- I get the beauty of living near a body of water, but one boat ride from my flood-riddled front door to high and dry ground would change that.
- Bacon smells better than it tastes. The fascination with it and anything breakfast-like is lost on me.
- There's always one dude who doesn't believe the sign River Drive (Iowa or Illinois) is flooded. Watching them trying to back up for two blocks is hilarious.
- No matter what a newborn looks like, you always say the baby "is beautiful.''
- If I ever go missing, the first place you won't find me is a the health food store at the mall.
- Judge Joe Beatty, who passed last week, was fair, honest and what is good about our legal system. He was as patient a judge as I have ever dealt with. He will be missed.
- The local television reporter standing in floodwaters should realize a silly stunt like that does not give his or her story any more bite to it than the next one. And it's dangerous.
- Every cable newschannel talking head, and every talk radio host is a member of the media. Stop trying to set yourselves apart when there is an issue you don't agree with.
- We all have that one friend who, when they raise their hand to speak, should then place it over his or her mouth.
- My company is giving my son a chance to draw a picture of what his dad does at work. My son said his picture would be blank.
- You are getting old when the bald spot atop your head uses more sunscreen than your arms and legs.
- Motherhood is tough. There is the patient and loving care it takes to watch over one's child and then long hours of posting photos on Facebook of its every move.
- If you are worried someone's not paying attention to what you do, mispronounce or misspell their name.
- It is not cool to take liberties with MY National Anthem. Sing the song without the theatrics and move on.
Columnist John Marx can be reached at 309-757-8388 or firstname.lastname@example.org.