Day in history for October 14, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Mathias Schnell was low bidder for building of Broadway Church in Rock Island. His bid was $21,630.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Col. James P. Donahue, Davenport, defeated Dr. G.L. Eyster, Rock Island, at the men's handicap golf tournament at Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- A $100,000 addition will be added to the Servus Rubber Company plant in Rock Island.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The safety committee of Wells School, Colona Avenue, south of East Moline, met with Floyd A. Shetter, Rock Island County superintendent of schools, this morning to discuss plans for safeguarding pupils of the school. It was decided to have stop signs printed and to place them on bamboo poles which members of the school safety patrol will hold over the highway, Colona Avenue, to stop traffic while children cross the highway. The group will ask the aid of state highway police in instructing the patrol boys in getting the plan started.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Derek Woods, Moline, won the Ford Motor Company's Punt, Pass and Kick zone competition in Bettendorf. He won the 11-year-old division and next participates in district competition. Tony Styx of Milan, another contestant who advanced through the Moline local competition sponsored by Sexton Ford Sales, finished second in the 12-year-old division in zone competition.
Back: Available days in October 2000