Day in history for October 18, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The woolen mills of James Shields, Davenport, have been closed, perhaps permanently.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island City Council adopted plans for construction of the No. 2 Hose Company building on 31st Street and 7th Avenue, Rock Island.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The D.E. Keeler firm, Davenport, was given the contract for the drainage system in southeast Rock Island.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- A printer today changed the line at the left top of page 1 of The Argus from ``99th year-No. 312'' to ``100th year-No. 1.'' Thus The Argus quietly observed its birthday, signaling the end of 99 years of publication in Rock Island. The Argus was born Oct. 18, 1851, without much expectation that the infant would live long. Its parents were Fred S. Nichols and John W. Dunham, two young men from St. Louis who had read much about the Rock Island to which a railroad was being built.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The wedding ceremonies of Gilead Presbyterian Church in Simpson went off with three hitches, one mistake and one minor disagreement. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Grey of Simpson watched their three daughters married, then headed home with their newly enlarged families to celebrate Mrs. Grey's birthday. The brides, Cara Jane, Margaret Ann, and Dena Marlene, wore satin gowns made by their mother.
Back: Available days in October 2000