Day in history for October 26, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Cornelius Lane, Davenport, was accidentally shot in the neck while working at Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Black bass fishing is the best ever seen in this area. Anyone dropping a line can bring home a heavy string of fish.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. A.J. Hollingsworth was called to the pulpit at Memorial Christian Church, Rock Island.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Eighty settings of silverware, including 240 knives, forks and spoons, were stolen from the dining room of Augustana seminary between 11:30 o'clock last night and 6:30 o'clock this morning, according to a Rock Island police report. The value of the silverware was placed at about $70. This was the second theft from the Augustana campus in two consecutive nights, valuables, mostly jewelry, valued at about $300, having been stolen from rooms in the Women's building of the college Tuesday evening.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Residents of Carbon Cliff face a severe water shortage for about the next 48 hours. Lightning struck the pump motors, cutting the flow of water to the tower. The pump motors will be out of commission for at least 24 to 48 hours because they must be rewired. New pumps were sought, but none were available. Residents are asked to conserve water and to boil it before use.
Back: Available days in October 2000