Day in history for October 3, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The following panel of petit jurors was drawn from Rock Island Township: George Foster, John Biehl, Ed Sutcliffe, Andrew Hoffman, Isaac Bamberger, Frederick Kellerstrass, Peter Sumner, Swan Swanson, George W. Copp, W.B. Sergeant, William H. Channon, Ernst Strate, William F. Schroeder, Ed Whelan, William Goodman, H.P. Hull, T.A. Babcock and Laurence Eihl.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Captain H.C. Barrett was assigned to lead the harvest festival for the Salvation Army.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island's Community Chest Fund is only $6,605 short of its goal.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island aldermen last night refused to consider a plan for boosting the police force by six men at the expense of parking meter funds, but at the same time they struck at the city's police and fire commission for ``permitting a patrolman to have a year's leave of absence when the department is short of men.''
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- An East Moline dilemma, ``Is the old McNeal house a landmark or an eyesore?'' ended this morning as wreckers demolished the 120-year-old structure. Judge Dan McNeal, who with brothers George and Neil owns the property, had requested the city let the building stand. But city officials finally got their way. The house is being scrapped at no cost to the McNeal family and contractors will salvage the valuable bricks.
Back: Available days in October 2000