Day in history for October 30, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- New officers of Charity Grove, No. 32, United Ancient Order Druids are: F. Applequist, J. Miller, E. Beck, R.H. Vermillion, C. Schmidt and J. Raddell.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. Mark H. Patten, dentist, moved to his new office at the corner of Eighteenth Street and Fifth Avenue, Rock Island.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Roy L. Barker, Rock Island, has been promoted from ensign to lieutenant junior grade in the Navy.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Dr. Ernest E. Davis of Avon, who was 75 yesterday, but is many years younger in energy and outlook, has been named outstanding general practitioner of 1950 by a secret committee of the Illinois State Medical Society. Announcement of his choice from among a score of entries submitted by the 91 county societies making up the state organization was made today.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- A spectacular crash left Rick Hemphill, 23, of Altona, in the intensive care unit of Moline Public Hospital after the auto he was driving struck Lock 24 at the Hennepin Canal bridge. According to the Henry County Sheriff's report Hemphill, westbound on the Geneseo slab, lost control of his vehicle after crossing the Green River bridge. He drove his auto atop the canal bridge guardrail about 30 feet, then hit a power pole. The auto flipped in the air and came to rest in the lock.
Back: Available days in October 2000