Day in history for November 8, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The Wide Awake Hose and Hook and Ladder Company is planning a dance at Turner Hall.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- A fire broke out on the Kemble School roof, but it was quickly checked and no damage was done.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The use of Spencer Square, Rock Island, by the American Legion on Armistice Day was denied by the Park Board.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Reappointment of Carl E. Mitchell, East Moline, as a commissioner of the Metropolitan Airport Authority of Rock Island County for five years, commencing Nov. 20, was announced today. Mr. Mitchell, one of six commissioners of the airport authority, was reappointed by Mayor B.H. Ryan, East Moline. He originally was appointed a commissioner by Mayor Ryan over a year ago to fill a vacancy left by Dr. E.A. Soule, East Moline.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- United Township High School's annual yearbook, Skyline, walked off with the top yearbook award at the fall conference of the Northern Illinois School Press Association at Northern Illinois University. Six students and their adviser, George S. Miller, attended the conference and accepted five blue ribbon citations in six possible categories to capture the ``Golden Eagle'' trophy, the top honor given to any high school by the association.
Back: Available days in November 2000