Day in history for April 12, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- When the railroad is completed, people can travel from New York to Rock Island by train in 42 hours. If anybody had predicted a decade ago that enterprise and wealth would produce such a result, he would have been considered a fit tenant for the madhouse.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- The old frame building on 18th Street, Rock Island, formerly occupied by the Sherman Saloon was moved on rollers to Flatiron Square to make room for the handsome brick addition to Odd Fellows Hall which Alvin Hull, owner of the building, will erect.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Savings Bank today reelected directors as follows: H.S. Cable, L. Simon, P.S. Greenawalt, John Volk, John Crubaugh, E.W. Hurst, Phil Mitchell, J.M. Buford and H.P. Hull.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island board of education promised residents of the southwest section of the city a new school as soon as funds are available.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island residents were warned not to dump leaves and grass into streets and expect the city street department to cart the debris away.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- East Moline will receive $1.4 million for the construction of a long-sought municipal swimming pool. The announcement by Congressman Tom Railsback, R-Moline, came as a complete surprise to East Moline and county officials, who have been considering the project since 1968 but haven't determined a site or design for the pool complex.
Back: Available days in April 2002