Day in history for April 23, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The Davenport city council has called a public election for May 20 to decide whether Davenport shall increase its purchase of shares in the Rock Island and Chicago railroad to $30,000.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- John H. Swartout of Chicago is visiting Rock Island and has met several people whom he knew 35 years ago. He and his brother, Nelson Swartout, opened a wagon shop in this town in 1839 on the ground where Dart's old warehouse store now stands.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Republicans of the 33rd district assembled in convention and nominated L.S. McCabe for state senator and L.M. Magill and C.A. Samuelson for state representatives. H.A. Ainsworth of Moline was chairman.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- A band concert each evening next week in the Fort Armstrong Hotel will mark Rock Island's observance of national music week.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Because Davenport central station firemen had always bought ice cream at her store to celebrate a birthday, Lillian Hagge, who operates the Rainbow Ice Cream Store, 1323 W. 4th St., reciprocated on her birthday anniversary. Each shift of firemen was delegated to pick up free ice cream at the store.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Quad-City planners say the need has never been greater, but that it will probably be at least 10 years before officials take any positive action toward construction of another Mississippi River bridge linking Rock Island and Davenport.
Back: Available days in April 2002