Day in history for April 3, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The Emigrant's Guide, published in New York, says: The Rock Island region is eminently healthful. It is even thought that Rock Island will be a resort for rich invalids and men of leisure from the south on account of its double charm in purity of air and scenery.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- The raft boat, Robert Ross, was plying between Rock Island and Davenport as the regular ferry, the Rock Island, was stranded at the boat yards.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Congressman A.J. Hopkins of Aurora has been secured to deliver the annual Memorial Day address in Rock Island.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island and South Rock Island township elections will be nothing more than formalities due to the fact that Republican nominees are unopposed.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Completion of redecorating work in the sanctuary of First Lutheran Church, Moline, was celebrated with a festive service. The sanctuary presents an entirely new atmosphere, with the color scheme chosen to harmonize with the windows installed a few years ago.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island's million-dollar downtown mall eventually will be a beautiful community asset, city officials and businesmen agree. But it's proven the nemesis for two 2nd Avenue merchants and a giant headache for many others. Construction problems, delays and parking confusion along the two-block outdoor mall have shifted trade to other shopping areas, some merchants say.
Back: Available days in April 2002