Day in history for November 19, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- In the Second congressional district, consisting of the counties of Rock Island, Whiteside, DeKalb, Kane, DuPage and Cook, John Wentworth, Democrat, was elected to congress over Aldrich, Whig, 7,033 to 5,872.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- The sawmills of Rock Island handled 25 million feet of lumber during the past season, it is estimated.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- About half the members of the Rock Island city council left for Quincy today to inspect the water plant there.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Edward Johnson and Miss Mary Zwicker will represent Augustana College in the state oratorical contest.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Henry Rotthier, 1701 7th St., Rock Island, who is employed as a Santa Claus in a Quad-City department store, reported that he found all four tires on his car flat as he prepared to go to work this morning. Whoever did the mean trick probably didn't realize the car owner was Santa Claus.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Rev. Ernest E. Ryden, a former Dispatch carrier, will receive the ``Gabriel Award'' for his production of ``The Holocaust'', a program describing the death of 6 million Jews in Nazi Germany during World War II, and presented over WJAR-TV, Providence, Rhode Island. Ryden was graduated from Augustana College in 1953 and returned to graduate from the Augustana Theological Seminary in 1959, after he served two years in the Navy.
Back: Available days in November 2002