Day in history for September 13, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Grand jurymen selected during court session included George W. Gates, M. Hartzell, David Bowen, William Bruner and Daniel M. Reynolds.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Joseph Stegele fell down the elevator at Huber's Brewery and broke his leg.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- A lamp in a room at A.D. Sperry's home exploded, setting fire to some clothing and doing slight damage to a wall.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Justice Cyrus E. Dietz of the Illinois Supreme Court, a resident of Moline, died in Moline Lutheran Hospital following injuries sustained in a fall from a saddle horse.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Several hundred dollars' worth of clothing stored in the attic was destroyed by fire at the old Red Wallis farm several miles southeast of Andalusia. The house is now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Bud Lor, who moved here from Milan about a month and a half ago. The blaze, which started from faulty wiring in the attic, was extinguished by the Andalusia Fire Department.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Vandals continued to plague the strike-bound Rock Island Lines, breaking the warning gates at several Quad-City locations. Police, who are attempting to keep track of the limited number of trains passing through during the strike, say gates are being downed as fast as they are repaired.
Back: Available days in September 2004