Day in history for August 12, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- It will no doubt be a source of pleasure to the ladies of this place and vicinity to know that Mr. Moss has opened a new dry goods and fancy store. We apprehend that his clerks will be ''kept moving some.''
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- E.D. Sweeney and family, William Jackson and family and Miss Lucy Henderson are summering at the seashore.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- At the Republican County Convention A.H. Kohler was elected chairman of the County Central Committee.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A young bird, believed to be an owl or chicken hawk with a wing spread of 17 inches, was captured when it flew in through an open window at the H.B. Glover Company, garment manufacturers, 2416 3rd Ave., Rock Island.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Lt. Carl O. Swanson, 61, is the only present member of Rock Island's Fire Department who served on the force when horses were still in use.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Quad-City nightowls will be able to watch television into the wee hours of the morning when a Moline station begins broadcasting 24 hours a day this fall. ABC affiliate WQAD already broadcasts all night Friday, and it will expand its 24-hour programming throughout the week ''probably by mid-October,'' Steve Israel, director of programming, said this morning.
Back: Available days in August 2006