Day in history for August 27, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A political mass Democratic Rally honoring S.A. Douglas, William Richardson and others will be held in Rock Island Saturday, Sept. 6, when it will be expected that all will turn out and hear the champions of freedom.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rodman Rifles will attend an encampment at Bloomington early next month.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Carl Helpenstell was toastmaster at a banquet of The German-American Press Club held Saturday evening.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Henry Wochner, 1105 12th St., Rock Island, an engineer at Bear Manufacturing Co., Rock Island, was granted a patent this week on a axle straightening mechanism.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A 50-foot flagpole was removed Saturday from 1569 40th St., Rock Island, where it had been placed in 1919 to mark a government housing project in that area, and was replaced directly in front of the Soldiers' monument in Chippiannock Cemetery.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Dianna Blake, a 31-year-old mother of three, fulfilled her lifelong dream Wednesday by swimming across the Mississippi River with her mother cheering her on from a speedboat nearby. Blake, who has been swimming since age 3, made the half-mile swim in less than 30 minutes and said she briefly tinkered with the idea of making a return trip.
Back: Available days in August 2006