Day in history for August 28, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A fine gold pen and pencil were lost on Sunday, in or near the First Presbyterian Church. The findee will be liberally rewarded by leaving it at this office, where the owner can get it.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Tony Pastor Troupe will open the season at the Harper Theater here in three days.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island County Picnic Assn. of the Modern Woodmen of America has decided to hold the annual picnic at Long View Park on Sept. 15.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Two unmasked men staged a holdup at the Como Hotel, 18th St. and 3rd Ave., Rock Island, at 5:15 this morning, escaping with $130 after locking F.W. Dauffenbach, night clerk, and Frank N. Bailey, 1510 33rd St., Rock Island, night porter, in a room on the third floor.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Plans for the expansion of the home office of Royal Neighbors of America, 230-36 16th St., Rock Island, moved forward today following the firm's successful $201,500 bid last night for the present Rock Island Post Office Building.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Hundreds of fish died this week after a break in the Hennepin Canal caused its water levels to drop nearly 3 feet. People who live along the portion of the canal in Colona have been complaining about the fish kill and its resulting stench.
Back: Available days in August 2006