Day in history for August 29, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- On Monday last, as George Parent and B. Hawley were riding in a buggy near Moline, they suddenly turned to avoid running over a child, and came in contact with a wagon team, upsetting their carriage.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Members of the Buffalo Bill combination troupe were photographed at the Watch Tower Saturday afternoon.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Albert Huber has been elected secretary of the Rock Island Retail Merchants' Association.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Manager J.F. Barrett of the Rock Island office of the Illinois Bell Telephone Co. announces that directors of the company have approved the expenditure of $52,000 for the repair and reconstruction of certain sections of the lines between this city and Galesburg.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Seven teenage Rock Island youths face closer parental supervision after being caught ''wet handed'' in Rock Island's swimming pool in Long View Park after the closing hour Monday night.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Ruth and Hugh Downs came to Tampico today. They came to the town where Ruth grew up and Hugh asked for her hand in marriage. They came to town with an ABC ''20/20'' news magazine film crew to contribute a little more notoriety to the village that has basked in the attention that surrounds a presidential birthplace.
Back: Available days in August 2006