Day in history for August 4, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Ambrose G. Bowling, Camden precinct, was appointed chairman and William A. Knox, Rock Island, secretary of the Democratic Convention of Rock Island County.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Burglars made an unsuccessful attempt to enter the Commercial House.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- H.A. Johnson, construction engineer for the tri-city merger, and Frank D. Moses, an expert in gas manufacture, will arrive here Monday to take charge of the reconstruction of the street car lines.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- An estimated 3,500 persons jammed Cram Field, Davenport, today as the Quad-Cities extended enthusiastic greetings to Wiley Post and Harold Gatty, aviation's globe heroes, who came under the auspices of the Central Broadcasting Co. as an added feature of the Iowa American Legion program in Davenport.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Construction of a boat house as the first project at the new harbor in Sunset Park will be urged by the Citizen's Advisory Committee for the project.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Near normal operations continued at the Quad-City Airport today during a strike by air traffic controllers demanding better pay, benefits and a shorter work week. A combination of non-striking controllers and supervisors continued to operate the airport's control tower.
Back: Available days in August 2006