Day in history for August 9, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. J. Keefer has shown us a specimen of his painting. Mr. Keefer is a fine artist and one of the best sign and ornamental painters in this region.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- President Garfield has submitted to another operation. A relapse is feared.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Socialist Convention named candidates as follows: County judge, G.A. Gustaftson, Moline; county treasurer, E. Fechner, Moline; county clerk, L.E. Seever, Rock Island; sheriff, Charles Block, Rock Island; county superintendent of schools, J.N. Hardy, Moline.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The annual reunion of the Sixth Illinois Infantry of the Spanish-American War and Women's Auxilliary will be held Monday and Tuesday in Moline.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Mary Louise Marshall, one of the best known radio and television personalities in this area, is retiring tomorrow from her regular schedule of director of women's activities at station WOC. She has been associated with Station WOC since 1936.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- What has two wheels and costs $1,500? Would you believe a bicycle built for a racer? Moline's Todd Windeknecht has such a bike and will be racing it today in an attempt to qualify for the United States national team in action in the Catskill Mountains of New York.
Back: Available days in August 2006