Here's your last chance to enter the 1998 Best Shots Photo Contest, this year's version of the annual photography contest sponsored by The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus. Deadline for mailing or delivering entries is Monday.
This year's contest departs from the traditional vacation theme of past contests and instead offers amateur photographers the chance to broaden their exposures. Now photographs may be entered whether they were taken in east Africa or East Moline.
However, each photo must be entered in one of four categories, which are:
WILDLIFE: This category is for photographs of animals -- wild or not, taken in your own backyard or in a national park or other location.
PEOPLE: This equal-opportunity category is reserved for human beings of all ages, races, creed and color.
IT'S NOT ART, BUT IT'S FUNNY: Have a goofy photo of Uncle Henry with his head sticking out of one of those cartoon character cut-outs at Six Flags? No? Well, whatever silly, funny or staged photo you have (and we know you have one), enter it in this category.
Q-SCENERY: This category is strictly for photographs of the architecture, natural scenery or events found in or around the Quad-Cities area. (We'll accept anything within a 60-mile radius of, oh, say, the tollbooths on the Centennial Bridge.)
One winner will be chosen in each category, and each winner will receive $150. The winning photographs and pictures of the winning photographers will be published in a future Sunday Life section. In addition, several honorable mention photographs will be published.
All photos will be judged on originality, composition, clarity and creativity.
Now, for the rules:
1. Only current Quad-Cities and surrounding area residents who are amateur photographers may enter the contest.
2. Photographers who won a first place award in the Dispatch/Argus photo contests of 1997 and/or 1996 are ineligible to enter.
3. Each photographer may enter up to four photographs. An entry consisting of more than four photographs will be disqualified.
4. All photographs may be entered in the same category.
5. On the back of each photo, print your name, address, daytime phone number and the category the photo is entered in. (Failure to indicate a category will result in elimination.)
6. Black-and-white or color prints may be entered. Slides will not be judged.
7. If you want your photos returned, include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your entry. Or, after the winning photographs have been published, you may pick up your photographs at The Rock Island Argus, 1724 4th Ave., Rock Island.
8. All entries must be postmarked by 5 p.m. Monday, Sept. 21, or be delivered to The Dispatch or The Rock Island Argus by the same date and time. Mail entries to:
BEST SHOTS PHOTO CONTEST
c/o Life Department
1724 4th Ave.
Rock Island, Ill. 61201
Employees of The Dispatch, The Rock Island Argus and The Leader and their families are not eligible to enter.
Winners of the contest will be notified following judging.