Sites mark history of Henry County(February 9, 1998)
Henry County has several historical markers. They include:
-- Indian Trail, plaque on first curve east of Woodhull on Illinois 17. It is the presumed route of the primitive expedition against the Indians of the upper Mississippi sent in 1780 by Gen. George Rogers Clark under Col. John Montgomery.
-- Indian Boundary Line, plaque .2 miles south of Hooppole on Illinois 78. Surveyed in 1819 from the south edge of Lake Michigan west to the Mississippi. Fixed by the Treaty of 1816 between the United States and the Ottawa, Chippewa and Patawatomi. Lands to the south were ceded to the United States and lands to the north to the tribes who later, by the Treaty of 1829, ceded that land to the United States.
-- Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church, plaque on the west side of Andover, south front side of the Andover maintenance building. Pioneer missionaries Lars Paul Esbjorn and his wife founded the church in their home, three blocks south of this corner in 1850. It was the mother church of the Augustana Synod.
-- Rock River Indian Trail, 1.5 miles south of Illinois 92 at Ebenezer United Methodist Church, east side, and at the Spring Hill Road and Prophetstown, north side. The route of Black Hawk and his warriors, and General Whiteside's Bridgade, which included Capt. Abraham Lincoln and the 4th Regiment of the Illinois Mounted Volunteers. The brigade marched May 10, 1832 from the mouth of the Rock River by way of the Winnebago Prophet's Town to Dixon Ferry to battle the Indians.
-- Richmond, 4.2 miles south of Interstate 80 on the west side. Location of the first seat of justice in Henry County. The courthouse was erected in 1838 and burned in 1839. The first circuit court was held April 1, 1839 by Judge Thomas Ford, who later became governor.
-- Great Sauk Trail, seven miles south of Interstate 80, east side and 1/2 mile south of Rock Island-Henry County line, east side. An Indian route passed here, going east across the state. It was the path of the early French traders between the Mississippi and Lower Lake Michigan. Black Hawk and his ``British Band'' followed the trail until 1831, from their village at the mouth of the Rock River to Fort Malden, Ontario to receive pay for their service to the British in the War of 1812.
-- First settler of Western Township, Orion, west side of road in front of doctor's office. The first settler of Western Township was Mahlon B. Lloyd who arrived in 1837 and bought land and built a house in 1838.
-- Brandenburg Tavern, .8 miles east of Interstate 80, east side; intersection of 233 and 585 E. The tavern was built in 1837 by George Brandenburg, near the site of his first log tavern, built in 1835. Henry County organized here June 19, 1837. It was the site of the first hostlery, first post office and first voting place in the county.
Copyright © 1998 Moline Dispatch Publishing Company, L.L.C.