Q-C Online support pages
Technical support article
Setup Instructions for Windows 95
From the Windows desktop double-click on the My Computer icon. If you see a folder that is labelled Dial-Up Networking then it has already been installed and you can skip to section 2.
If you do not see Dial-Up Networking then you will need to do the following:
- Click on Start, then Settings, then Control Panel.
- Double-click on the Add/Remove Programs icon.
- Click on the Windows Setup tab.
- Double-click on the Communications line.
- Click on the box next to Dial-Up Networking so that there is a check next to it.
- Click the OK button.
- You may be prompted for your Windows CD-ROM. Your computer will copy some files over and will ask if you would like to restart your computer. Tell it Yes.
- When the computer has restarted double-click on the My Computer icon and make sure that there is a Dial-Up Networking folder inside it.
Click on Start, then Settings, then Control Panel, and then double-click on the Network icon. Look in the list of network components. If you have a line that reads TCP/IP or TCP/IP --> Dial Up Adapter then you already have TCP/IP installed and you can skip to section 3.
Otherwise, you will need to do the following:
- From the Network control panel click on the Add button.
- Select Protocol and click Add.
- Select Microsoft and then TCP/IP, and click OK.
- Click OK again.
- Your computer may ask you for your Windows CD-ROM. After some files are copied over you will be asked to restart your computer. Click Yes.
- From the desktop double-click on My Computer and then double-click on Dial-Up Networking.
- Double-click on the Make New Connection icon.
- Enter Quad-Cities OnlineŽ for the name of the computer you are dialing.
- Click Next.
- For the telephone number to dial use one of the following:
- 757-1160 - Moline access number with X2 or V.90 connect speeds
- 945-4775 - Geneseo access number with X2 or V.90 connect speeds
- 582-2554 - Aledo access number with X2 or V.90 connect speeds
- 386-5659 - Davenport access number for users outside the metro area only
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Drag the Quad-Cities OnlineŽ icon out to the desktop. You will be asked if you would like to create a shortcut. Click Yes.
Please read the Terms of Agreement.
Before you can proceed any further you will need to call Quad-Cities OnlineŽ Customer Service at (309) 757-5037 during the phone support hours and provide us with the information to create an account. Please be ready with the contact information for the account holder - including name, address, and telephone number. You will also be asked to select a username and password.
A username is the identity you will be known as on the system and will also be the first part of your email address. For example, if you choose a username of JoeSomebody then your email address would be firstname.lastname@example.org. Usernames are restricted to being between 3 and 12 characters long with letters and/or numbers only, no spaces or other special punctuation is allowed.
The password is a special code known only to yourself and is required along with the username to access your account on our system. When choosing a password it is suggested that you use something which is not easily guessed by others to prevent your account from being accessed without your knowledge. The password must be between 3 and 9 characters with letters and/or numbers only (no spaces or punctuation) and cannot be the same as your username.
From your Windows desktop double-click on the Shortcut to Quad-Cities OnlineŽ icon. A box will then pop up with the connection information. Be sure you enter the username and password that you selected in the previous step. If there is something in the username line already delete it out first before putting the proper information in. If you would like Windows to remember your password automatically so you do not have to type it in each time you can check the Save Password box. Once everything is entered click the Connect button.
Your computer will display a status box as it dials up to the service and connects. Once it states you are connected, run Internet Explorer by going to Start, then Programs, and then selecting Internet Explorer. If you have Netscape or another browser you can use that also. When the browser opens it will load whatever start page it has set in its options. You are now on the Internet!
Now that you are connected to Quad-Cities OnlineŽ you have access to a wide variety of features and services available both on our system and out on the Internet in general. For information on setting up your email and other programs, as well as questions that you may have about the Internet in general, please proceed to the Technical Support page.