Menu





Search


The following help to make QC Q&A available:

Colona House
54 41st St.
East Moline, IL.
309-762-1414

Concept Bath Systems
2334 Spruce Hills Drive
Bettendorf, Ia.
319-344-9138
800-324-3772

Greg Conroy, LCPC, NCC, MS
1465 41st St. Suite 2
Moline, Il.
309-762-4907

Dahl Ford
1310 E. Kimberly Rd.
Davenport, Ia.
319-391-2600

Daneland
501 1/2 W 4th St.
Davenport, Ia.
319-323-5500

Davenport City Of
226 W 4th St.
Davenport, Ia.
319-326-7711

Davenport Chapter Izaak Walton League
319-391-5200

Davenport Museum of Art
1737 W 12 St.
Davenport, Ia.
(319) 326-7804

Deere & Company Credit Union
3950 38th Avenue
Moline, Il.
1-800-338-6739 or (309) 765-7909

Deere Harvester Credit Union
P.O. Box 339
(309) 765-7909

Deere Harvester Credit Union
309-765-7500

DeGreve Oil Change
Rock Island & Moline, Il
Bettendorf & Davenport, Ia.
786-9725

Daimond Vogel Paints
3728 Eastern Ave.
Davenport, Ia.
319-391-2200

Dick Blick Art Materials
4601 16th St. Plaza South
Moline, Il.
309-762-5549

Downtown Moline Centre
Moline, Il.

Duck Creek Mall
I-74 & Middle Rd.
Bettendorf, Ia.
319-359-0303

Elim Covenant Church
5201 18th Ave
Moline, Il.
319-764-6920

Erickson Plumbing & Heating
230 35th St.
Moline, Il.
309-762-0716

Family Musuem of Arts & Science
2900 Learning Campus Drive
Bettendorf, Ia
319-344-4106

Fireplaces Plus
1730 Grant St.
Bettendorf, Ia.
319-359-8688

First Midwest
300 Park Blvd., Suite 400
630-875-7200

First National Bank
Moline, Il. & Davenport, Ia.
(309) 797-7800 & (319) 388-7800

Floorcrafters
1305 5th Ave.
Moline, Il.
309-762-9423

Genesis Medical East/West
1227 E Rusholme St.
Davenport, Ia.
319-421-6000

Global Wireless
1819 7th St.
Moline, Il.
309-762-6010

Glynns Creek Golf Course
Scott County Park
Long Grove, Ia.
319-285-6444

Golicks Meat Market
1114 E High St.
Davenport, Ia.
319-322-2142

Go-Temp
2224 E 12th St.
Davenport, Iowa
(319)323-5100

Grace Marine
2906 State St.
Bettendorf, Ia. 52722
319-359-1635

George's Antique Auto Restoration Shop
Rt. 150 Alpha, Il.
(309) 529-2003

Goldsmith Fine Jewelry
103 WEst Main
Aledo, Illinois
(309) 582-2202

Gunn, Annilea MD
(309) 792-0595

QUAD-CITIES TRIVIA

The rope used in the Tug Fest between Port Byron, Ill., and LeClaire, Iowa, is 700 pounds dry weight, one inch in diameter and 2,400 feet long.

Abraham Lincoln was sworn in as a captain in the militia in the Black Hawk War of 1832 at a spot on what is now Andalusia Road, across from the Showcase Cinemas in Milan. There is a historical marker there today.

Buffalo Bill Cody, famous Wild West showman and well-known Indian scout, came from LeClaire, Iowa.

The lowest point of ``land'' in the Quad-Cities is the bottom of the Mississippi River just below the roller dams of Lock and Dam 15. The churning water at that point has dug the river bottom to a depth of 515 feet above sea level about 40 feet lower than the surrounding community.

The highest point of land in the Quad-Cities is 770 feet above sea level, two blocks west of Utica Ridge Road a half mile north of the Interstate 80 overpass.

The geographic center of the Quad-Cities is behind K&K Hardware in Bettendorf, at the intersection of Brown and 18th Streets.

The steepest road in the Quad-Cities is Davenport's Fillmore Street. From 9th to Clay streets, the street rises 79 feet in a 500-foot stretch, for a 15.8 percent incline.

Arsenal Island was once used as a Civil War prison camp.

The longest creek in the Quad-Cities is 21-mile-long Duck Creek in Scott County.

Credit Island was an early trading post and the site of a battle between the United States and Great Britain in 1814.

The longest public road in the Quad-Cities is Locust Street in Davenport and Middle Road in Bettendorf. Together they run 14.3 miles.

Hero Street in Silvis is a Quad-City street which honors veterans of World War II, Korea and Vietnam.

Camp McClellan was a former Civil War training camp located in what now is the Village of East Davenport. The camp was named for a Union general.

In 1856, Abe Lincoln came to the Quad-Cities as an attorney to defend the first bridge to cross the Mississippi River. It was hit by a steamboat two weeks after it was opened, setting the bridge and boat on fire.

The first bridge to span the Mississippi River was a railroad bridge from Rock Island to Arsenal Island to Davenport, about 750 yards upstream from the current Government Bridge. Completed in April 1856, it was dubbed the `'white bridge'' because of its color.

The oldest area bridge is the Government Bridge. Built in 1870, it is a mass of sprockets and gears. Its swing span weighs 2.1 million pounds.

There are more than 300 churches and 450 civic organizations which thrive in the Quad-Cities area.

The area's largest parking lot is at NorthPark Mall. The 60 acres of parking provides 5,935 spaces.

The longest elevator shaft in the Quad-Cities is the 200-foot Montgomery Elevator Tower in Moline. The tower has three elevators.

The most populous city in the Quad-Cities is Davenport, the third largest city in Iowa, with 95,333 residents in the 1990 census.

The oldest eatery in the Quad-Cities is Lagomarcino's Confectionary, at 1422 5th Ave., Moline. The restaurant and candy store has been in business since 1908, and in its current location since 1919.

The Rock Island Arsenal, one of the largest manufacturing arsenals in the world, employs about 7,800 persons locally.

The largest Quad-Cities manufacturing facility is the Alcoa plant in Riverdale, with 127 acres under one roof.

The first post office in the Quad-Cities was established at Fort Armstrong, on Rock Island (now known as Arsenal Island), in 1825. Col. George Davenport was its first postmaster.

The oldest city in the Quad-Cities is Rock Island. It was founded in 1835 as the separate communities of Stephenson and Farnamsburg.

The oldest business in the Quad-Cities is Deere and Co., which began operation in 1837.

The first brick church in Davenport was St. Anthony's Catholic Church, built in 1837.

The first waterslide in the Quad-Cities was not at Wacky Waters or Riverside Park. At what is now Black Hawk State Historic Site, in the late 19th century, a slide took riders down the steep bluff in a ``car'' and dropped them into the Rock River.

The first appendectomy in the United States was performed at Davenport's Mercy Hospital, now part of Genesis Medical Center.

The area's largest clock sits atop the Clock Tower on Arsenal Island, featuring 12-foot-diameter faces. The clocks are also the oldest public clocks in town, installed in 1868. The pendulum weighs 3,500 pounds and is 32 feet tall.

The first McDonalds restaurant in Iowa was built at 33rd and Brady Streets in Davenport, opening in 1958.

About 49,000 cubic feet of water pass Davenport's Main Street every second, according to a 100-year average.

The first lock and dam was built between Arsenal Island and Davenport in the 1930s. Each time it is used to move a boat up- or downriver, 16,330,400 gallons of water is moved.



Search
Copyright © 1999 Moline Dispatch Publishing Company, L.L.C., All Rights Reserved