Q-C group nabs shootfighting wins - Quad-Cities Online: Sports

Complete forecast by

Q-C group nabs shootfighting wins

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Sunday, August 23, 1998 1:00 am

Bettendorf's Pat Miletich is as tough as they come in these parts.

But Saturday night at Davenport's LeClaire Park, the Ultimate Fighting Championship's reigning middleweight champion faced the ultimate no-holds-barred ``Beast.''

Willingly surrendering 85 pounds to Dan ``The Beast'' Severn in hopes of ``scoring one for the little guys,'' Miletich (21-1-1) met the former three-time UFC heavyweight champ in the super bout of a 13-card shootfighting show last night.

But Miletich's much-hyped shootfighting scrap with Severn (39-3-2) ended after The Rock Island Argus went to press.

In other bouts, locals like LaVerne Clark, Mike Flynn and Paul Wells were winners. So, too, was Omaha's Jeremy Horn, a fighter training now out of Davenport.

Meanwhile, Muscatine's Dennis Reed was the lone QC-based fighter falling. Travis Fulton, a fighter from Cedar Falls, Iowa, with QC-ties, had to settle for a draw.

Clark clocks foe: A former Rock Island High School wrestler, Clark took another step in his bid to become a two-discipline fighting champion.

A local pro boxer and former amateur champ, Clark (3-2) won his second straight no-holds-barred bout by pounding into submission Pennsylvania's Dave Yoder (0-2).

Clark fought off an early takedown attempt before taking Yoder to the canvas and controlling the fight from there.

Sandwiched around another brief stint on their feet, Clark rained right hand bombs to Yoder's ribs and head by Yoder, before slipping the sleeper choke hold on for a submission at the 4:35 mark.

``I'm only getting better and better at this,'' Clark said, pointing to the payoff of working with Miletich. ``Steady repetition is the only way to improve and I'm getting that now.''

Clark steps back into the ring Aug. 29 in a boxing show in Waterloo. In October, he's scheduled to switch gears again -- accompanying Miletich to the Ultimate Fighting Championships in Brazil.

Clark won an alternate bout when Miletich won the UFC's middleweight crown earlier this year. He's been invited back to do so again.

``I'm fired up,'' Clark said. ``I think I have a real warrior mentality. And the more I fight, the better. I'm trying to turn a minus into a positive and stay out of trouble by staying focused on what I have to do in the ring.''

Flynn's fling over: One and done, Flynn vowed, after ending his highly-anticipated no-holds-barred debut just a minute shy of settling for a draw.

The former Davenport Assumption state wrestling champ turned on the after-burners late in overtime, withstanding a solid right to the head before slipping underneath Iowa City's Ben Clancy (1-2) for a breathtaking takedown.

Flynn's lightning quick move put Clancy in a precarious position on his side, staring directly at the Assumption grappling coach's right knee. It took just one solid knee to the face for Clancy to call on referee Mark Hanssen to stop a fight Flynn controlled from the outset.

``Too many Mountain Dews and candy bars,'' Flynn said when asked why he's retiring after one fight. ``I got pretty tired out there, so I was conserving energy there late. I knew I had about two minutes of adrenaline and that was about it.

``I work out with Miletich and that's fine for me. Pat's pretty persuasive, getting me into the ring for this one, but I'm not in the kind of shape I need to be to do this. I'm not doing it for money, anyway. I've got a family business to run and I coach and that's enough for me. But this was fun. At least I can say I did it.''

Wells upset with win: Moline's Wells (6-1) won his sixth straight no-holds-barred bout, but walked out of the ring steaming over his foe surrendering 95 seconds into Wells' first fight in nearly two years.

Philadelphia Toughman Champ Reginald Saunders came a long way just to wave off the scrap while riding on top of Wells.

Saunders (0-1) admitted he was gassed and the referee called off the fight, much to Wells' consternation.

Wells climbed to the top of the cage and yelled out an obscenity before descending to throw his mouthpiece at an exiting Saunders. When Saunders turned to glare at Wells, the Moliner motioned to step back into the ring.

``I just apologized to him. That was uncalled for,'' Wells said after talking with Saunders backstage. ``I was just so disappointed because this was kind of my comeback fight and I had a lot of people here to root me on.

``I've put on 10 pounds of muscle and want to step up soon with the big boys (in this sport). So I really wanted a test of where I'm at right now. But, this was no test.''

Also: Reed (12-12-2) was forced to submit at the 2:19 mark, as Michigan's Noe Hernandez (4-3) caught him in a guillotine.

Horn (11-3-3) used the same submission hold to stop Pennsylvania's Todd Butler (1-3) at 3:28 of a feature fight. Fulton (36-11-3) went overtime without a winner being decided against Colorado's Larry Parker (12-4).

Photos and Reprints

Find photos and order reprints

Photo Report (browse)

Order Photo Reprints (search)


Ness Guess